Elderberry Syrup + Gummies…Boost Those Immune Systems!
In true Mama Gawdess style of short, sweet, quick + easy, I’ll spare you the usual blog post intro, and head straight to the meat of it all…take that, SEO ratings or whatever they’re called!
Elderberry Syrup + Gummies
🌺. Buy dried organic elderberries here and use this recipe to make syrup and then gummies with the syrup:
Elderberry Syrup Recipe:
- 3½ cups good filtered water
- 2/3 cup dried elderberries
- 1 tbsp grated or powdered ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cloves (optional)
- ~ 1 cup raw honey (add to your taste)
Put water and berries in saucepan and any of the optional items you like, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30-45 minutes or until liquid has reduced about half.
Strain and mash the berries to extract all liquid.
Compost the mash and let the liquid cool a bit – you want it cool enough to not destroy the good enzymes in your honey, but warm enough to dissolve it. Add honey to taste.
Ta da! You just made yourself some cold- and flu-busting Elderberry Syrup! Well done! Store in fridge (I use glass mason jars) and take a spoonful daily during winter for its immune boosting properties.
(Standard dose is ½ – 1 teaspoon for kids and ½ – 1 tablespoon for adults. If ill, dosing can be every few hours until symptoms are gone.)
Now, if you’d like to use some of that syrup to make fun gummies….
Elderberry Gummies Recipe:
- glass container or silicon molds
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 cup elderberry syrup
- ¼ cup gelatin powder
- ½ cup hot but not boiling water
- Grease molds or glass pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Place ¼ cup of elderberry syrup in a small pan or large cup and quickly whisk in the gelatin powder.
- Add the ½ cup of hot (not boiling) water and stir quickly until smooth.
- Add the rest of the elderberry syrup and stir / whisk until completely smooth.
- Pour into pan or molds + refrigerate until firm.
- Pop out of molds + store in airtight container
Will last about a week in the fridge in an airtight container. Take daily to boost immunity…or even every few hours if ill.
~Enjoy keeping you + your family healthy naturally!~